Get Your Child Plugging into Nature
Last month The Huffington Post published, “97% of children play video games” and statisticbrain.com reported, the average American youth watches television 1200 hours a year (compared to 900 hours per year in school). Many parents feel frustrated, concerned or even competitive, with their children’s mobile devices—believing (rightfully) that there is a wondrous world beyond Facebook “Likes,” Twitter feeds and Instagram posts. If you want your kids to turn off technology and tune into nature, check out Hilton Head’s top 12 chord-free, care-free, memory-building outdoor activities:
- Enroll in Outside Hilton Head’s Kids & Teens Camp. For 30 years, Outside Hilton Head has prided itself in getting people immersed in the Lowcountry. Their programs engage youths in hands-on, environmental education and fun, confidence-building and outdoor activities. Ages: 7-17
- Zipline Hilton Head. Soar by Hilton Head’s majestic live oaks and pines as you feel the wind against your face and see the Lowcountry unfold beneath your feet during this 2-hour, eco-adventure tour. Ages: 10+ (with an adult)
- Sail along with the South Carolina Yacht Club’s Junior Sailing Program. Your child will learn about the waterways, boating, nautical terms and knot-tying skills. Ages: 6+
- Parasail Hilton Head. See Hilton Head Island like you’ve never seen it before. Embark from beautiful Shelter Cove Marina on a spacious 31-foot parasail boat. Ages: 6+ (with an adult)
- Have an Aerial Adventure. This tree canopy tour consists of six courses with 50 different challenges, ranging from easy to very difficult. Ages: 5+ (with an adult)
- Take a tour on Pau Hana. Whether it’s dolphin watching, daytime cruising, taking in a fabulous sunset, learning to sail with a private lesson or enjoying fireworks, get ready for some quality family bonding. Ages: All
- Try beach yoga. Both Art of Yoga and Jiva Yoga Center offer beach classes and this fun-in-the-sun activity is a great way to get some exercise and commune with nature. Ages: All
- Get a paddleboard lesson. Check out this trendy and toning sport with outfitters like Outside Hilton Head and H2O Sports. Ages: 10+
- Play beach volleyball at Coligny Beach. With its great shops and eclectic mix of restaurants, Coligny Beach is a great spot for planning a full day of fun. The free beach volleyball courts are in front of the Tiki Hut, a great place to grab a drink after a few rallies. Ages: All
- Bike or dine outdoors and then challenge the family to bocce or croquet at Palmetto Bluff. Palmetto Bluff is a high end getaway between Hilton Head and Savannah and offers an award-winning spa and other amenities. You can bike around this scenic property or dine in one of its gourmet restaurants like Buffalos. On the village square, by the historic Waterside Chapel, are regulation-sized, manicured bocce courts and croquet lawns. Ages: All
- Kayak to Daufuskie from Harbour Town. You can rent kayaks from several different outfitters and then take a 1 hour paddle across Calibogue Sound. Ages: Check with the outfitter.
- Make a picnic and watch the Shelter Cove Fireworks. Pack some goodies or get take out from one of Shelter Cove’s delicious restaurants and then lay out a quilt and enjoy the show. Ages: All
Check out the these links to discover other outdoor and wellness opportunities.—Be well, Becca Other Great Links:
More Trending Stories
Shady maritime forests. Swaying Spanish moss. Ancient live oaks. Spectacular salt marshes.
You’ve said your vows, exchanged rings, and danced the night away with family and friends.
Find Your Island Time