The BEACH BUM TRIATHLON & DUATHLON Series rolls into 2019 with a lot of heat, salty water, and sand. Last year, we introduced the Duathlon race – and we were stoked to see all the landlubbing athletes join us on the beach. 2019 promises lots more fun – and lots more coconut monkeys. We have scheduled 2 dates for the races (see below) and we hope you can join us on the beautiful Hilton Head beach and race for the Coconut Monkey!
Race Dates: June 13 (#1) -and- July 11 (#2)
Start Time: 7am
Race Location: Coligny Beach, Hilton Head Island.
Arrival Time: Arrive at race site no later than 6:15am.
Packet PickUp: Friday – 4pm to 6pm @ the Hilton Head Running Company (MAP)
Saturday – 6:00 to 6:30am @ Race Site (MAP)
Race Format: Triathlon = 500m Ocean Swim | 6mi Beach Bike | 3mi Beach Run
Duathlon = 1.5mi Beach Run | 6mi Beach Bike | 3mi Beach Run
Parking: There is ample parking across the street from the race site in the Coligny Beach Parking Lot – located just off of Pope Ave. – there are also parking spaces near the beach.
Body Marking: Body Marking will begin at 6:30am at the race site.
Pre-Race Instructions/Meeting: This meeting will take place at the transition area on the beach at approx. 7:30am. The pre-race meeting we will go over the race instructions, course, and any other logistics. This meeting will also provide time to answer any questions the triathletes have.
Results: Results will be posted on the race website
Awards Ceremony: Awards presentation will begin immediately after the last finisher completes the race. The awards ceremony will take place at the Coligny Beach access area. You must be present to collect your award – or have someone get it for you. Awards will not be mailed out. The awards ceremony is expected to take place at 8:45am.
Awards Divisions: Awards are given in each gender to the top ten finishers 39 – under, top ten 40 – over, and top five 60 – over. Also, awards are given to the top five relay teams overall.
Post-race Refreshments: There will be lots to eat and drink following the race – refreshments will be located at the Coligny Beach access area.
- The transition area is located on the beach. The bike racks will not be numbered – the triathletes may rack their bike first come – first serve.
- Only participants are allowed in the transition area. The bikes racks will be fenced in so that only participants can access the area.
- No bike storage overnight.
- Only the race participant may remove his/her bike from the transition area.
- Participants must run their bikes to the transition area entrance before mounting and must dismount at the transition area entrance upon completing the bike leg.
Swim (Triathlon only):
- Swim caps are provided in the race packet and must be worn.
- Be prepared to swim at 7am
- The swim is a mass start – meaning, all swimmers begin at the same time.
- The swim is parallel to the shore and with the current. So, swimmers will swim approx. 35m out around the first buoy – swim 430m down passing the second buoy on their inside and at the third buoy – swim 35m in to shore. There are three yellow buoys in the water. Swimmers must swim on the outside of the buoys at all times.
- There will be plenty of water support in the water. If you feel you need assistance during the swim, roll over on your back and raise your hand in the air.
- Swimmers will exit the water directly in front of the transition area.
- There will be water available for the swimmers as they exit the ocean.
- The bike course is entirely on the beach.
- Bikers will ride 1.5mi down the beach to a turn around – the ride 3mi down the beach to another turn around – then 1.5mi back to the transition area. The turn around(s) will be staffed with volunteers and very visible – but it is up to the triathlete to be aware of where they are at all times.
- The run course is entirely on the beach
- Duathletes will start their race with a 1.5mi run
- Duathletes and triathletes will run the same 3rd leg of the race – a 3mi run. The run is a 1.5mi down the beach to a turn around (aid station) and back to the finish.