Bloody Point Lighthouse Museum (on Daufuskie Island)
18 Simmons Road-Broad Creek Marina, Hilton Head Island, SC 29926Maps & Directions
The Bloody Point Lighthouse looks nothing like a typical lighthouse. In fact, the two-story structure is the same design as the keepers’ houses at the Tybee Island Light with the exception of the addition of a large dormer jutting out from the roof where the light was kept. This lighthouse was named for the Indian battles that took place there in the early 1700s. And it guided ships into the Savannah River Channel from 1883 to 1922. In an effort to show people more of the history of the island, Indigo, Sea Island Cotton, Carolina Gold rice, and a vineyard with Scuppernong grapes has been planted on the grounds and the quaint Silver Dew winery is back up and running. The lighthouse itself is now a museum and gift shop, and features one of the best preserved Batou Indian canoes.