The Island prepares for the 11th Annual Motoring Festival October 26–November 4
With its miles of pristine, white sandy beaches, idyllic year round weather and, what seems like, an infinite number of golf courses within its 60 square miles, Hilton Head Island is, without argument, known best as a golfer’s paradise. However, Hilton Head Island is fast becoming known for something surprising…remarkable automobiles.
I know I may seem biased, but when I began working for the Motoring Festival, I would have answered the question “what kind of car do you drive?” with a more than unimpressive response – ‘blue’. Now, while I can tell the difference between a Ferrari and a Fiat and can identify, before it’s announced, the car that I think might be selected as the Best of Show winner during the Sunday Concours d’Elegance (November 4), I still would not label myself as, what this year’s Honorary Chair, Bob Lutz, would call, a “car guy.”
However, trust me…you don’t have to be a car guy to enjoy the 4 glorious events of the Motoring Festival and appreciate the true automotive beauty you will witness while on the grounds.
While I could outline all of the top of the line details about this year’s event (October 26 – November 4), you can find those on the website – www.HHIMotoringFestival.com . What I want to offer is the real insider’s guide to this year’s Festival (and, don’t worry, no insider trading/white collar offense in sight).
- At the Savannah Speed Classic (October 26 – 28) spend the extra money and buy a hot lap ticket. For as little as $35, you will get the ride of your life. I took a lap last year in a vintage BMW racecar and held my breath the entire ride. It was exhilarating and terrifying (in a good way) all in one.
- Purchase early! If you buy a ticket online before October 15th, not only will you receive a discount but you will get to skip the line when you arrive. Breeze right through as if you were P. Diddy at the hottest night club in NYC!
Don’t miss the new model test drives. At no charge, you can ride in style, at least temporarily, in the latest models from BMW (and MINI), Porsche, Jaguar, Land Rover, Infiniti and Aston Martin.
- Hit the Ketel One Cartini Lounge and help raise money for a good cause. Purchase this year’s winner from the Cartini Challenge on-site at the Coastal Discovery Museum at Honey Horn (the Hilton Head Island venue). Proceeds from the Lounge go to Driving Young America, the Festival’s charitable fund.
- Special to this year, at 1pm on Saturday, November 3, make sure to catch our Honorary Chairman’s (Bob Lutz) Q&A session from the Road to the Future exhibit.
- As one of this year’s Restaurant Partners, the SERG Group will present a cooking demonstration with chef Orchid Paulmeier, a contestant on Season 7 of the Next Food Network Star last year, on Saturday, November 3 (11am at the Discovery House).
- When you hit the food court at the Hilton Head Island events (catered by Celebrations Catering & Events), I highly recommend the fried chicken salad sandwich…delicious!
With exhilarating racing in Savannah and over 500 cars on display between the two days in November on Hilton Head Island, this is a one-of-a-kind event in a beautiful setting during the perfect time of year. For more information, visit www.HHIMotoringFestival.com or ‘Like’ the Motoring Festival at www.facebook.com/HiltonHeadIslandConcoursdElegance.