(Part 3): Have Your Cake and Eat It Too at Hilton Head Island’s delisheeeYo Frozen Yogurt, Juice Bar and Cafe
A regular serving of soft serve at Baskin Robbins is 280 calories and 11 grams of fat. A regular serving at delisheeeYo is 110 calories and 0 grams of fat (and no added sugar). But for delisheeeYo owner Cathryn Matthes the difference doesn’t stop there.
“When people leave here, they feel nourished–even if they are getting a treat like frozen yogurt,” says Cathryn.
In addition to using alkaline-forming and properly ripened organic foods, Cathryn’s cuisine is probiotic and anti-oxidant rich.
About Probiotic Foods
- The World Health Organization and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations define probiotics as “live microorganisms, which, when administered in adequate amounts, confer a health benefit on the host.”
- Friendly microorganisms (also known as healthy bacteria) are vital to proper development of the immune system, to protection against microorganisms that could cause disease, and to the digestion and absorption of food and nutrients.
- Probiotics offset the bad side effects of antibiotics, boost the immune system, ease symptoms of gas, cramping, diarrhea and lactose intolerance, and add defense against disease-causing bacteria, yeasts, fungi, parasites, irritable bowl syndrome, tooth decay and periodontal disease, skin infections and stomach and respiratory infections that children acquire in daycare.
- Examples of foods containing probiotics are yogurt, fermented and unfermented milk, miso, tempeh, and some juices.
About Anti-oxidant Foods:
- Anti-oxidants are vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients that protect and repair cells from damage caused by free radicals.
- Experts say a diet rich in anti-oxidant rich fruits and vegetables can help ward off infections like colds and flu, as well as chronic diseases including hardening of the arteries (atherosclerosis), cancer, and arthritis.
- The three major antioxidant vitamins are beta-carotene, vitamin C, and vitamin E.
Next week, we’ll visit the Hilton Head Health Institute and discuss how delisheeeYo is not alone in promoting wellness on Hilton Head Island.