(Part 2) Have Your Cake and Eat It Too at Hilton Head Island’s delisheeeYo Frozen Yogurt, Juice Bar and Cafe
I have finally decided which celebrity delisheeeYo owner Cathryn Matthes looks like (Lauren Hutton–minus the famous gap) when she says, “I was overweight as a teenager.”
I find this extremely hard to believe but I listen on to hear why she believes so strongly about eating not only healthy foods but “functional foods”.
According to Mayo Clinic nutritionist Jennifer K. Nelson, R.D., L.D., functional foods “are foods that have a potentially positive effect on health. Of course, all foods are functional in the sense that they have nutrients or other substances that provide energy, sustain growth or support vital processes. However, functional foods are generally considered to offer additional benefits that may reduce the risk of disease or promote optimal health.”
Cathryn’s cuisine accomplishes this by serving up a healthy dose of foods that are alkaline-forming and carefully ripened and organic.
About Alkaline-forming Foods
- The pH scale (potential of Hydrogen) runs from 0 to 14. The higher the pH of a solution, the more alkaline or oxygen rich it is; the lower the pH, the more oxygen deprived or acidic it is. To maintain health, human blood must be maintained at a slightly alkaline pH, within the range of 7.35 – 7.45. Outside this range, degenerative diseases and chronic problems arise.
- Some such problems are: Kidney stones, immune deficiency, hormonal problems, cardiovascular damage, premature aging, loss of drive and joy, pale complexion, loose/painful teeth, lack of energy, mouth and stomach ulcers, falling/dull hair, gastritis, leg cramps and spasms, joint pain, weight gain, osteoporosis, lactic acid buildup, eyelid inflammation, and dry skin
- Research affirms that healing is not possible unless the body is slightly alkaline. No means of improving health will be successful in an acidic body, because acidosis inhibits the body’s ability to absorb nutrients, to repair cells, to produce energy and to detoxify heavy metals.
- The most highly alkalinizing food are lemons and watermelon, followed by celery, parsley, dates, figs, mangos, melons, papaya and stevia. Most vegetables, including greens, cruciferous veggies, tomatoes and root crops are alkalinizing, except corn, lentils, olives and winter squash.
- Acidic-forming foods include sugar, caffeine, animal protein and processed foods.
About Ripe Organic Foods
- Properly ripened, organic foods reduce toxic chemical residues in your body.
- Properly ripened, organic foods provide an increase in nutritional value.
- Organic foods benefit the environment.
- People who consume organic foods void the damaging effects of food additives.
- People who consume organic foods avoid the unknown effects of genetically modified (GM) crops.
Next week we’ll look at the benefits of anti-oxidant rich and probiotic foods and how Lauren–I mean Cathryn–famously dishes out great-tasting, good for you foods.