Somewhere along the way I lost sight of the reason why my family moved to Hilton Head Island over twenty years ago. Maybe I got too involved with having a career and children. Maybe I just took for granted all that the Island provides. But after spending a day at Hilton Head Health (H3) in Shipyard Plantation, I rediscovered so much about my hometown and felt inspired to bring an even greater sense of wellness into my family’s life.
Hilton Head Island truly is about:
- Absorbing some vitamin D in the Hilton Head Island sun
- Finding shade and inspiration from the Lowcountry’s verdant landscape
- Taking advantage of all the Island’s bike paths
- Enjoying the friendly faces of people from all over the country (and world)
- Uniting the mind, body and spirit to promote total wellness
When I arrived at H3 at 8 a.m., I immediately felt energized. I was welcomed with smiling faces and guest gift bag (a stylish backpack that included a water bottle, map of Shipyard and its bike paths, a paper and pen, and a notebook with my itinerary and other useful wellness information). Sitting down with my 300-calorie breakfast (see note)–which included fresh grapefruit, decaf tea and an omelette with onions, bacon, jalapenos, herbs, tomatoes and cheese–I looked over the daily H3 schedule, got some advice from other H3 guests and staff, and devised my wellness plan of attack.
(Note: All H3 meals are 300 calories and are complemented by 3 100-calorie metabo meals throughout the day. Though I was constantly challenging my mind and body all day, I never once felt hungry or deprived of flavor.)
My H3 Wellness Plan:
- 8:30 – Breakfast (see above)
- 9:00 – Thermal walk (Guests are encouraged to take a 1/2 mile walk after meals.)
- 9:30 – Treading (This awesome cardio workout can be as high or low impact as you like and is an instructor-guided class on a treadmill or elliptical. I went full out and burned 453 calories in 45 minutes.)
- 10:30 – Metabo meal (100-calorie snack) of V8 juice and veggies dipped in H3’s lowfat ranch dressing
- 11:00 – A 1-hour class on relaxation techniques led by Beth Leermakers
- 12:00 – Sit-down lunch with the yummiest carrot soup I have ever tasted, lemonade made with Stevia and fresh lemon, and southwestern chicken salad
- 12:30 – Thermal walk with a few other H3 guests, in which we all discussed our wellness roadblocks and bonded over a mutual love for the movie Three Amigos
- 1:00 – Zumba Latin Dance class
- 2:00 – Lecture on planning healthy meals by Chef Jen Welper that I found absolutely informative and inspirational
- 3:30 – Metabo meal of chilled herbal tea and apple cinnamon rice cake
- 4:00 – Though I registered for Drums Alive (a holistic workout that joins the dynamic movements of aerobic dance with the beat and rhythm of drums), I decided I needed to explore the H3 campus and have some independent time to ingest all that I was learning and experiencing at H3. (I walked and then sauna-ed and enjoyed absolute silence.)
- 5:00 – Aromatherapy massage
- 6:00 – Dinner with all my new H3 buddies that included a small salad buffet and local yellowfin tuna marinated in lime cilantro and served with Spanish brown rice and calabacitas (stewed squash with corn in a fresh blended tomato broth) and avocado salsa.
- 6:30 – Thermal walk
- 7:00 – Stretch and relaxation class
Next week, we’ll go into more detail about H3 and my wellness take away.