Imagine a spa lounge with colorful lanterns hanging from the ceiling, playful pink walls decorated with butterflies and flowers, cozy furry purple blankets strewn casually across plush chaises, and coffee tables with the most recent edition of National Geographic for Kids and Girls Life.
This is Carolina GurlSpa—where young girls get a healthy dose of positive messages and much needed TLC.
“We wanted the spa to be girlie but not princess-y,” said Liz McGinnes, who used to be a social worker. “This is supposed to be a haven for girls. It’s amazing what girls have told me about experiencing stress with school or family members. They say it makes their tummy hurt or they can’t can’t sleep. They also talk about having low self-esteem and feeling like beauty is just exterior. That’s why we offer a meditation session for our walk ins before they begin their service.”
Carolina GurlSpa nurtures the mind, body and spirit with a holistic approach. “We use only high quality products and natural ingredients,” said McGinnes. “And we want to teach these girls how to be at peace by giving them a relaxing massage or showing them how to make de-stressing aromatherapy.”
McGinnes also believes advertising can be confusing and gives young ladies wrong information. This is why so much of her spa services focus not just on pampering but also on educating. “The girls learn about proper skin, hair and nail care by using their senses with vibrant smells like peppermint and healthy, tasty ingredients like fresh strawberries. We make sure their learning experience is truly interactive,” said McGinnes.
One spa activity lets girls make their own smoothie masks and McGinnes explains the benefit of each ingredient. “The yogurt provides a light acid, the oatmeal is moisturizing and calming, the fruits they choose from provide antioxidants, and the honey infuses nutrients. We talk about the properties of each ingredient and the girls describe how it makes them feel.”
“Our clients’ little personalities make me laugh,” said McGinnes. “It’s fun when they come in and do a spa day with mom or have their birthday party here. I see them in their little spa robes and know they feel cared for.”
List of Services
For Teens (BFF=Best Friends Forever)
- Sweet Carolina Teen Facial: Pore-deep cleansing, breakout busting mask, eyebrow tidy up, and advice from the pros. $75. BFFs $135.
- I “Heart” My Nails Manicure: Nail trim, cuticle tidy and buff followed by a scented hand massage and topped off with polish. $25. BFFs $40.
- Pretty Me Pedicure: Bubbly foam soak and refreshing minty foot massage followed by trim and nail buff and polish. $35. BFFs $60.
- It’s All About You: Sugar glow body scrub, foaming tub, and hot stone massage. $75. BFFs $135.
- Om GurlsSpa: Manicure, pedicure, teen facial, body polish and glow and hot stone massage. $185. BFFs $340.
- Fancy Fingers Manicure: Strawberry soak, shine and polish. $15.
- Twinkle Toes Pedicure: Butterscotch bubbles, sparkle scrub and nail polish. $20.
- Movie Star Makeover: Fancy Fingers Manicure, Twinkle Toes Pedicure, ice cream face pack, hair glitters and face art. $50.
For Ages 4-7
- Tinies Treat: Butterscotch bubble soak, sparkle scrub. $15 for hands and feet. $28 for hands and feet with one coat of glitter polish.
Be well, Becca